7.21.2010

How Many More?

Tonight I attended a candlelight vigil for a man I did not know, but I wanted to pay my respects for the life he lived and sadly, chose to end. The vigil was beautiful with many people there to show their love and support. I was touched by the words shared in this man's memory.

I don't know why he chose to end his life. What trials did he face? What demons? How long did his internal struggle last? I'm pained he chose to end his journey, but I hope now he has found peace.

My heart hurts! It truly, deeply hurts for those who have taken their lives this month. For those who have taken theirs before. It hurts for them and for anyone who has been affected by these tragedies.

How many more? How many more lives will be lost before hatred is turned to love? Intolerance to acceptance? Fear to understanding? How many more souls must keep struggling to be accepted for who they are, not what they are? How many families must be torn apart before we realize we are all a family? That we're all in this together? How many tears must be shed to wash away the poison that is bigotry? How many more?

I ask anyone who reads this to please search deep in your hearts for the love I know is there. If you know someone who is a member of the LGBTQ community, please open your heart to accept them as they are! Don't let what you've been taught get in the way of what you truly feel in your heart to be right! We are people just like you. We are different, but we are the same. We laugh, we cry, and we love.

We are all on this journey of life together and I look forward to the day when we can all share it together in peace, happiness, and most importantly, love.

1 comment:

  1. How very sad when things like this happen, and my heart hurts as well. It truly saddens me how as a society we continue to close ourselves off from loving and accepting everyone for who they are and the good things they do. Wish things were very different.

    ReplyDelete